About Me

My photo
San Francisco, California and, Carrboro, North Carolina, United States

Monday, September 27, 2010

SANTA CRUZ TRIATHLON

Stats: (1st Overall 1st AG)
Swim: 20:39
Bike: 58:07
Run: 36:31

First, I'd like to thank the guys at Pacific Bicycles; on Saturday they did an excellent job of getting my new areo bars set up and ready to race for Sunday. Thanks to them, I was able to ride to the second fastest bike split (by the way Tom T. was right there too, with the 4th fastest bike split).

Second, as always, it was great to see all the black, white and pink out there representing and taking care of business. Everyone did well and even though we had a small contingent of athletes, we took home quite a few of the awards.

Here's the race report.

Swim:
I love swimming in the ocean, maybe it's because I fondly remember my pre-law career as an ocean lifeguard, or maybe it's because the salt water makes me more buoyant, but nonetheless it's a great experience swimming in the Pacific and around the pier. I saw Dave Ried (an excellent swimmer) and knew that is the guy I was going to try to draft off. Well, I made it to the first buoy with Dave, and then he slipped away. I tried telepathy to have him slow down just a bit so I could get back on those feet, but it was not meant to be, in the end, Dave was too strong a swimmer. I came out of the wave in second, about 1:00 behind Dave.

Bike:
Onto the bike and time to chase down Dave, who put another 10 seconds on me in transition.  About a mile into the ride I came across a female athlete hammering away and wondered who was this super biker?  As I passed her I was surprised to see it was Tyler Stewart, Ironman champion, hammering away out there as she completed one last tune up race before heading to Ironman World Championships.  She is one strong cyclist, posting the 6th fastest bike split. About mile 15 or so I caught Kelly, who was also hammering away and racing well. I eventually caught Dave at mile 19 and rode into transition in contention for the overall win.

Run:
The run is great, it's along the coast and offers nice views of the ocean and coast line. Between miles 1 and 2, I passed Erin who was running well and looking strong. I kept chugging along, knowing that I had a good chance at the overall win if I could just keep it together. I did end up keeping it together, but just barely. My mile splits (5:34, 5:49, 5:53, 5:52, 5:48, 6:03, (1:31 for .2 miles)) indicate a slowing trend, so I was happy when I saw the Dream Inn and knew the finish was only a few hundred meters away. Those meters did not go by quickly enough but the finish was easy. I was also happy not to have been out sprinted at the finish. I have a bad run with losing races in the finish shoot, a couple times this year, and at last year's Santa Cruz Tri and Big Kahuna, so a non-sprint finish was just what I needed. I made it to the line in 1:58:08.  This was a nice win for me.  I won this race back in 2006 and I am finally feeling I am getting back to my old self.   

Congrats again to everyone who raced. We did great and I am always impressed with how well everyone is swimming, riding and running. Also, thanks again to Jared and the guys at the store, the work on the bike was great.

Lastly, if anyone has found my 34 minute 10K run, please return it, there's a reward. It was last seen in April at the track and regrettably I have not been to the track since, and it's now missing. I fear I'll have to be back on track to find it. I also suspect DRET stole it, he was also on the track that night.

No comments:

Post a Comment