About Me

My photo
San Francisco, California and, Carrboro, North Carolina, United States

Sunday, February 6, 2011

LIMITS OR NO LIMITS (Week of January 31 to February 6)

Limits or No Limits:

Racing, training, or working, each of these activities press us to our limits and each of us have a different threshold for how much we can take. With respect to work last year, I counted 4 all nighters.  Since my days in law school or college, the all nighters have become more difficult and recovery takes much longer.  In my early racing days, I suffered through miles 20-26.2 of each marathon I ran, always running out of energy.  Even now, I sometimes find myself going too hard on a bike ride, only to struggle home the final few miles. 

As for working without sleep, that's simple, do it less and feel better.  However, that's not always an option when racing or training?  What’s the reason for the cracking, bonking or whichever word you prefer to use for the meltdown? Is it psychological or physiological? Is it a combination of both and how can we avoid it?

A key aspect to racing and training well is to make sure you are sufficiently replenishing your caloric needs while exercising.  As someone who suffers from Crohn's disease it can be even trickier.  When do I listen to my body and say enough is enough, and when do I push through and potentially cause some permanent damage?  Also, what can I do minimize these events and what can I do to make sure my body is in a place to really perform at the highest level.  It's a juggling act.  Below is a short description of my thoughts on the matter. 

I am often not absorbing the nutrients that I need to recover from tough workouts so in addition to taking my medications, I take the following supplements.     

Curcumin Phytosome
Omega 3-6-9 Fish Oil (liquid)
Zinc
Calcium/Magnesium
Vitamin B12 Floate

When I am racing, in order to avoid the bonk/blow-up/burn out, I need to ingest a certain number of calories per hour.  Every one's caloric number is different and our caloric needs depend on how big and lean one is and how fast one goes.

On the bike I need 500 calories per hour.  

For the run I use the following "back of the envelope" calculation: 

(1) Determine caloric expenditure per mile
     .63 x lean body mass

(2) Determine running pace and number of miles covered in 1 hour

(3) Calculate hourly expenditure based on running pace
     (Number of miles in 1 hour x step 1)

(4) Determine hourly caloric replacement needs
     (Research indicates runners can physically absorb 30% of what they expended)

For me and a half marathon:

(1) .63 x 144.6 = 91.1

Lean body weight is body weight less your percentage of fat.  For me, I weigh 154 lbs, with 6% body fat.
6% of 154 is 9.4.  My lean body weight equals 154 minus 9.4 (144.6)

(2) 5:20 per mile; covers 11.3 miles in 1 hour

(3) 11.3 x 91.1 = 1029

(4) 1029 x .3 = 308

In other words, for a half marathon, I need to consume roughly 310 calories per hour (which is about a drink of Gatorade and 2 Gu or Gel packets). 

I stumbled upon this Radio Lab episode and I found it most interesting.  How far can we push ourselves?  At what point do our bodies and minds simply say no more (click here for the episode)

As for training this was an especially fun week.  With the help of some motivated fellow swimmers and a great coach, I continued to make progress in the pool.  Thursday's swim workout was amazing, hard but amazing.  The main set was 100 yards sprinting immediately followed by 300 yards at a strong effort (we did this 4 times).  This type of workout is perfect for triathlon training, as it simulates the start of a race, when each athlete is sprinting to the first buoy and then settling into their race pace. 

I had four great runs and I am slowly but surely coming into good form.  The week ended with a long run and ride. The long run was fantastic. JP and  I ran in Umstead State Park.  The weather was perfect, the sky beautifully blue, and the hills, terrain and trails were some of the best I have ever run.  



No comments:

Post a Comment