About Me

My photo
San Francisco, California and, Carrboro, North Carolina, United States

Monday, March 7, 2011

BREAK THROUGH WORKOUT (February 28- March 6)

Over the past few weeks I have begun to see some real improvements in my swim.  My muscles are remembering what is to be a swimmer and with each workout I am getting a little stronger and fitter. 


Thursday was a break though workout in the pool.  A break though workout is a workout that takes your training to another level, it literally breaks through the training plateau you may be on.  It can be anything for anybody, for example, running 1 mile, when you're previous best was a half mile, or running 10 miles at a specific pace, when a few months ago that pace was too tough.  For me, I had a break through workout in the pool.

The set was a tough one:
300, 200, 100, 300, 200, 100 followed by 100, 200, 300, 100, 200, 300. 
The 300's were to be swum at a "brisk pace" and the goal was to swim the 100's all out.  The workout was tough, but at the end of it, I hit all the times the coach was looking for (300s in 3:20 and 100s under 1:05)..  A few weeks ago this workout would have been impossible for me to accomplish, but with 6 weeks of consinstent training, I did it.  I am very pleased to know I am progressing well.  Thanks Dave!  You're making me fit. 


Friday called for a long ride.  I with a couple of friends ventured to the North Carolina Mountains.  Nothing too strenuous, other than nearly FREEZING the first hour.  When we started the ride the outside temperature was 38 degrees (I missed CA at that time).  However, I enjoyed being back out for a long ride.  The mountains and scenery reminded me of some my favorite rides in NorCal and it was great to have some time on the bike to see the beautiful North Carolina mountains. 



After a long week of training, my legs were very tired.  A key aspect of my success this year will be understanding that I am a little older and little more fragile than I was when I was racing in my twenties.  Keeping that in mind, I stayed true to my program and ran 70 minutes easy on Sunday.  My better half joined me, offering excellent pacing and company, and we explored around the neighborhood; I think I may have a found another cafe to go to as well, I'll have to try it to relax after an upcoming long run or ride.

No comments:

Post a Comment