About Me

My photo
San Francisco, California and, Carrboro, North Carolina, United States

Monday, September 11, 2017

White Lake Half Iron (1st Overall) 4:04

A short recap of the half iron distance at White Lake --

Swim --  27:33 (Fastest Swim)
Bike -- 2:08:49 (Fastest Bike)
Run --  1:24:44 (2nd Fastest Run)

The Electric Bananas were out in force today, going 1, 2, and 4 at the White Lake Half Ironman.  We threw down some of the fastest swims, bikes and runs, and even picked up a few Strava top 10s. 

I had a great time and a great race.  As shown below, I had a great ride and set a new PR for 56 miles:



However, the main reason for the post is to write about how lucky I am to race and train with such good teammates.  You guys make me faster.  If it's hanging on during a TTT, slaying myself on the slay the dragon ride, riding the p ride or doing a run/swim workout, I couldn't get it done without the motivation to hang in there.

For example, last weekend, Mark, Z, Josh and I met up at 7:30 on Sunday morning to run 20 miles.  Mark and Z rode a Benjamin on Saturday but they looked fresh and energetic.  I wasn't feeling great.  I looked so disheveled, Mark asked if my son kept me up all night?  The answer was no, I'm just beat.

About mile 12 I thought, how am I going to run the next 8?  I began making a deal with myself to quit at 15 and call it a day.  15 miles was good enough.

However, having teammates and training partners makes everything better.  At mile 13 I asked for a gel, and Z, Mark and Josh all offered me one and with flavor options.  What great and well prepared training partners.   After taking in a gel I decided to turn off my mind for a few more miles.  Soon enough we were running through mile 17 and my legs were feeling better.  We all picked up the pace for last 3 miles and we finished off the the 20 miler with a 6:20 final mile.

I felt tired but great, and recognized immediately that this training effort would provide a great deal of fitness.  I also realized I am way better athlete because of the team. My result today was a representation of that, it was team win on many fronts and it's great to be a part of it.

Hope you all are having a great weekend.

Mark C., James, and Eric R.  Friends taking all the podium spots.

No comments:

Post a Comment