About Me

My photo
San Francisco, California and, Carrboro, North Carolina, United States

Wednesday, July 21, 2010

TREASURE ISLAND TRIATHLON

A quick race report from the 2010 Treasure Island Triathlon. As always, it was great to see a few of the Team Pacific Bikes guys and girls out there. Congratulations to everyone, as the team performed well.

Coming into the race I was tired. A lot of training and a tough week at work resulted in me having low expectations for the race. I planned to use the weekend as big training weekend, and the race was a training day. My hours at work mean that I need get the most out of the weekend and put in the long hours of training.

Swim
The swim was rather uneventful. My swim shape is still sub-par and I am always dependent upon finding the feet of someone faster to obtain a good swim time. However, as I rounded the first buoy and saw no one in sight, I quickly learned that I was fastest in my wave. This is when I wish I was swimming more and back in 18:30 swim shape. I came out of the water in 22:39 promised myself I would be in the pool Monday morning.

Bike
I never really found my groove on the bike. The first three laps I just could not find the power to push the straight sections. I finished in 1:02:37 but lost a lot of time to my competitors for the overall amateur win.

Run
The first three miles of the run were great. I held 5:30s. However, the long week of work and training caught up to me, and my paced slowed to around 5:50s. I finished in 37:29. My Garmin had the course at 6.5 miles, which translates to a 35 minute 10K, not great, but I'll take it for where I find myself right now.


In the end I finished 1st in the age group, and 2nd overall. Sami Inkinen put together a strong race and had an incredible bike, taking the overall win.

I was happy with the weekend. I followed up the race with a 10 mile trail run in Tennessee Valley. On Sunday, I went out on the bike and rode out to Point Reyes and returned via Highway One, always a beautiful ride.

Next up is the Lake Steven's 70.3. I have some big goals for that race, and I am about half way there.

Hope you all had a great weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment