About Me

My photo
San Francisco, California and, Carrboro, North Carolina, United States

Wednesday, May 11, 2011

INJURED AND SICK (APRIL 25 - MAY 8)

After the sprint triathlon I was looking forward to getting back into some high volume training with a focus on the run.  My run has underperformed this season and with a tweak in the training program I was to start to put in some more mileage. 

Monday's workout called for a swim in the AM and then a brick workout  (bike/run) in the PM.  The swim went well.  I swam 3500 yards and each day I am beginning to feel stronger and stronger in the water.  The bike workout for the day was a 20 minute warm-up followed by 25 X 1 minute low cadence/high watts intervals, with one minute recovery between each.  The bike was going to plan, I was really putting everything I had into it, riding at a cadence of 40-55 and putting out about 320-340 watts.  On the last few I gave it everything I had.  After the bike, I jumped on the treadmill which called for 4 sets of 5 minutes at 5:40 pace and 3 minutes at 5:20 pace (with a minute between each interval).  I only made it 9 minutes into the run before my left calf started to hurt with each step.  Deciding that this was not good, I ended the run and started to ice my calf.   I had strained a few tendons around the soleus muscle.   The next few days were spent only swimming, riding and icing.   

Saturday means the P-Ride.




As always the ride delivered a great workout. I love this ride and really pushed it today. I jumped on the trainer after the ride and put in an additional 45 minutes of riding. A funny thing happened on the ride. I made an attack on a long climb, trying to really push the pace.  While climbing, I looked down at my cycling computer and thought, that's good I'm riding 18.4 mph up this hill. Then I looked again, I was going 18.0 mph, but the number I saw was my heart rate, 184 beats a minute! I did not think this old man's heart could get that high. I chuckled a bit and then kept hammering away.

After a training regiment of only swimming and riding, I had not seen any improvement in my calf and was still unable to run.  After Thursday's (5.5.2011) bike workout, I decided to take some time off my legs and only swim.     

In addition to my calf giving me some issues, my Crohn's has flared up and I am struggling to get it under control.  Each flare up impacts my daily activity and also my affects my confidence as an athlete.  That is, it is tough for me to think I'm a top triathlete when I know first hand my body is not functioning the way it should .  I've seen a couple doctors, started a new medication program, and hopefully will put out this flare up shortly. 

Time to rest up and heal.   

No comments:

Post a Comment